Monday 18 June 2012

What do you do..........

......when a threat gets too close to home?

I have always lived in a very safe country (in fact, one of the safest in the world and one of the cleanest too). When I first came here, I did not have any culture shock BUT I was shocked with seeing how filthy it is here. Not only rubbish but graffiti especially. But that’s a story for another time.

In recent years, the threat of danger (comes in different packages here – crazy guy knifed nursery teachers and her class full of children, another one started shooting people in public and then turned the gun on himself and then there’s the self exploding guy!) have become more present. When I realize how close this is to where we live, I can’t help but feel threaten and a great sense of fear, mostly for my significant other and our little one. Front page news screams with gory photos and headlines. I come from a country where the front page headlines or the entire paper itself, is made up of crimes like- snatch thief, cheating cases, fined was issued to someone or maid abused! The last months, the news have been reporting about Islamic threats caused by a group of extremist Muslims here. They have instigated many attacks against the political leaders here in Flanders. Although, their leader now sits in jail, the threat still doesn’t stop. Uneducated fools,  who do not understand anything, usually ruled by their emotions, always ends up as the victim and criminal. They go around blowing up places or themselves in public. Because of such people and organization, Islam and Muslims all over the world gets a bad reputation.

Last week, N and I were coming home from school & work. Along one of the stops, a man with a beard, Muslim praying hat, Quran in his hand and a big office bag hop in the tram. He was loud, talking to himself in Arabic or some language that sounds like it. He sat down behind us and started reading the Quran, not loudly but loud enough for us in the same tram coach to hear him. Feared crept in and I felt sick all over, my gut instincts told me to get off the tram! But I felt guilty after all, he could be some innocent guy just on his way home from the mosque. But my instincts told me otherwise, a sms from B assured me it was nothing but I got off the tram anyways. I remembered what Oprah Winfrey used to say, that your gut instincts are like whispers from God! Although nothing happened, I felt really guilty afterwards for stereotyping the guy. We are of the same faith but his understanding of what the religion is, so VERY different from mine! We practiced it differently too. I rather be safe than sorry honestly. I discussed it at length later at home with B – but it upsetted me for awhile, to know that even I don’t feel safe surrounded by people of the same faith anymore. They have truly crippled the religion and I can only feel sad for them. And it is up to people like us to mend what they have completely broken!

1 comment:

  1. Things have changed a lot. It's not like as when we were kids. But still i think if you take care life has not become that dangerous. And yes follow your gut instinct even if everyone else seems to ignore it

    ReplyDelete