Tuesday 18 October 2011

The Bicycling City


I do not like to cycle! It took me years to admit it and a life changing move to realise this! *pppffft*

Living in the low countries (The Netherlands and Belgium), most likely the town you live in will probably be a cycling town or village. Where you see more bicycles than normal vehicles on the road but nothing compared to China or the mass of vespa’s like in Ho Chi Minh city. It took me awhile to gear up some guts to go on a bicycle on the roads. We started small, making small bicycling tours usually on Sundays in tiny villages outside of Ghent. Even  today, I still have the jitters about cycling on the roads, even though they have clear cycling path, traffic signs and lights on the roads here. My first 2 wheeler here was bought at a 2nd hand Sunday market for bicycles. Since I am vertically challenge, we ended up with getting me a child’s size bicycle. Although it rode beautifully and comfortably, it did not come with gears thus making long distance cycling rather painful for me. 

Then, we had the kid and we bought ourselves a beautiful new ZIGO! The kid and I had many fantastic days on it, ferrying us from home to school and back. Now that the kid is heavier, we sold off the ZIGO and all 3 of us now have a bicycle each.  

Honestly, I thought I would enjoy cycling but I found out that I don’t, so it has been awhile since I last cycled. I think the weather Gods might have some days of Indian summer up their sleeves, so perhaps if I am in the mood, I shall clear my bicycle of cobwebs and go bring it out for a spin in the autumn sun!

Our very own set of wheels = )

No comments:

Post a Comment