Sunday 9 October 2011

Excuse me, may I please check your bag….......

(one of the many gifts i bought for myself on my birthday! thanks to Kipling for the huge discount, pays to be a loyal customer) 
About 7 years ago (when I was still new to this country and hardly speak the language) and perhaps I was vulnerable about fitting in and all – I tend to experience a lot of  unpleasant shopping episodes. There were so many but few were really hard to forget.

I was once shopping in a local supermarket here – Delhaize – a lady from the cashier insisted that I let her look inside my bag. If its Aldi, that’s ok, because they put a big sign up to say they have the right and will check  the bags of clients if need be. But, at that time, in that shop, there was no such sign but I did not want to make a scene – so I gave in and I did not even get a thank you or sorry for letting them look into my bag! It was only me that they checked, so you can imagine how I felt.

Then, during Christmas about 6 years ago – after getting a nice Xmas gift from my first boss in Belgium. I decided to go shopping, after all it was a gift voucher from a nice leather shop here in town. The lady did not say anything to me BUT kept tailgating me everywhere I went in her shop. I finally made my choice and headed towards the cashier and she too insisted that I let her check my bag. After she found nothing, she thanked me for the purchase BUT apologise for her behaviour explaining to me that just last week she just had a very bad experience with 2 African ladies who stole from her shop! And I think she wanted to make small talk during our transaction, she asked me which part of Africa I came from? *sigh* I gave her a smile and felt nothing but sorry for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment