Tuesday 6 September 2011

The New School Year

It’s September, thus a new school year has begun almost in all of Europe. I think the kid is having difficulties to adjust but I know the kid will get into the school rhythm again soon. School has tire the kid out, almost daily, the kid comes home over tired and grouchy! Tough to hold any sort of decent conversation or find out about the kid’s school day.

I grew up in a very strict, pure classroom and don’t think out of the box education system! But mostly, very British too. Anyways, although I am almost always academically challenged (no, I do not have a university degree) it was tough having to only have the option of learning through the text book. Of course, the education system (from where I came from) has improved tremendously but it is more challenging, fast-paced and stressful compared to the education system here in Flanders.

So when during the information evening for parents yesterday when it was stressed or  encouraged that we could only teach the kid to write in capital letters at home and also not to encourage the writing of numbers – I was taken aback at how backward and slow the system is here. Perhaps it is better, perhaps it is not but it did not settle well with me. I fear  the kid will be held back against the kid’s will!

Funny how even after 8 years living in Flanders, I find it hard to accept such conformism but I guess I just have to keep an open mind about the ways of the systems here. As long as the kid is happy and learning and progressing, I shan’t complain. 

You know how people are so easy to go stereotyping others, now I partly know why the people of this country are known to be slow and stupid!

No comments:

Post a Comment